Once our solar panels get old, it is mandatory to replace them. This is because we are using solar panels. After all, they are efficient. So it is useless if we will use solar panels that do not work well. So in this article, we will answer the question of how often do solar panels need to be replaced?
Table of Contents
- The Benefits of Replacing Solar Panels
- When to know if the solar panels need replacement already?
- The Ideal Lifespan of Solar Panels
- Ways On How To Lengthen The Lifespan Of Solar Panels?
The Benefits of Replacing Solar Panels
Before we go further in this article and learn how often do solar panels need to be replaced. We must know the benefits of replacing solar panels.
Leads to better energy acquisition and conversion:
Worn-out solar panels usually have lower efficiency compared to the newer ones. This is because as solar panels get old or surpass their lifespan, the cells’ ability to perform its functions lessens.
Safer for the environment.
You do not want to experience leakage on your solar panels. So when the panels are due for replacement always make sure that you will not take it for granted.
Lower electricity bills:
Before the solar panels reach their maximum lifespan, it is assumed that you have utilized the most of it, getting your ROI back and saving a lot of money throughout the years.
Those are only a few of the many benefits that you can get aside from sparing yourself from a tremendous headache that old solar panels can bring.
When to know if the solar panels need replacement already?
Some signs will help you determine when you already need to change your solar panel. You must be aware of those signs for you to make the most out of your solar panel system. Here are the signs that you should look out for that will tell you that replacement is a must already.
- You are noticing that there is not enough power coming in. This can be a problem in converting energy or in the storage of energy that is coming from the sun.
- The power gets drained easily. This is because the cells aren’t able to hold the energy for much longer periods compared to when it was newer. The tendency is you will not get the full potential of your solar panel system.
Those are the signs that will help you know if your solar panel needs a replacement already in case you did not know the manufacturing date of your solar panel. This is because the manufacturing date is essential as it will determine the actual lifespan of the cells. Since the cells’ efficiency isn’t forever, whether you use the solar panel or not, the cells’ life will deteriorate.
The Ideal Lifespan of Solar Panels
For you to know if the solar panel has reached its full potential, it must be able to last for 25 to 30 years. That is the maximum lifespan that a solar panel can get. Once it reaches that particular point, except that the solar panel will continue to deteriorate. It will not completely malfunction suddenly and that is a good thing. In this way, you will be able to ready yourself for the particular cost of solar panel replacement.
But you can expect that solar panels will have a shorter lifespan if it is not handled properly that is why it still depends on the owner if they will use it properly. You must take note that solar panel is pretty fragile that is why you must handle them with utmost care to achieve their ideal lifespan. It can be a daunting task but it is truly worth it as solar panels are pretty expensive and you do not want them to deteriorate quicker than it is supposed to be.
Ways On How To Lengthen The Lifespan Of Solar Panels?
For you to enjoy the maximum lifespan of solar panels, you must do something. This is because it will not reach 25 to 30 years if you will not use it correctly. There are some ways for you to reach that and they are not as complicated as you think.
- Clean the surface of your panels. Believe it or not, cleaning the surface of your panels can surely increase its lifespan. This is because cells must function properly without any hindrances for their inside components not to die out.
- Do not overload it. You must only use the solar panels according to their size. Every size has its maximum capacity that is why it is not appropriate if you will use it more than its suggested usage.
- Avoid draining it. As much as possible, always make sure that you are not draining your battery from time to time. This is because draining can impose significant damage on the solar panels for the long-term. So make sure that you start charging your batteries with solar energy once you see that its power is getting low.
- Check if it has damage regularly. Since solar panels are installed outdoors, they are exposed to outside elements that can damage them. It is a good precautionary measure if you will check if it has damage for you to fix it sooner when it is still minor which can spare you a lot of time and money fixing major issues.
Those are the ways that you can use to extend the lifespan of your solar panels. It is essential as it will help you enjoy the benefits of your solar panel much longer and make the most out of your money.
Now you know how often do solar panels need to be replaced to get the efficiency that you deserve in running off-grid, it’s time to take note of it. In this manner, you will be aware and ready once the time comes that you will need to change your solar panels. You already have the budget and the strategic plan that will let you continue to enjoy the efficiency of solar energy.